How To Sow Spring Cabbage Seed
Sow cabbage April in autumn for tasty vegetables in early spring
We are sowing April one of the most reliable spring cabbages as it is fairly resistant to bolting. It has small pointed hearts so is ideal for small spaces. If you grow them close together you can harvest them as spring greens. They need sowing in late summer.
You will need:
• seed compost + Perlite
• seed tray
• tray to hold water
Fill the tray with good quality peat-free seed compost mixed 50/50 with Perlite; this opens up the structure of the compost allowing it to drain better and not form a hard crust on the top. Knock the tray on the bench to settle the compost.
- Sow the seed thinly on the surface.
- Cover with a thin layer of sieved compost and label.
- Stand the tray in the tray of water for 10 – 15 minutes until the compost is damp.
- Place somewhere cool until germinated.
- Once the seedlings have formed 2 pairs of leaves prick out into individual pots then plant in the vegetable beds once the summer vegetables have finished.
For more information, hints and tips on how to make the most of your garden space just contact our Outdoor Plant department or browse through our blog articles.