Kids Fascinating Facts
- Toads taste nasty to most predators but if they can avoid getting gobbled by a snake or hedgehog, they can live for up to 40 years.
- As a hedgehog grows the number of its spines increases until an adult has between 5000 and 7000.
- At least 25 different species of earthworms are native to the British Isles & in an average square metre of lawn there may be 20 to 40 worms.
- The grey squirrel was introduced from America; it can jump more than 6 metres & builds itself a nest or drey, about the size of a football, out of twigs & leaves.
- Woodlice are related to crabs and lobsters and live in damp places to stop themselves from drying up & dying.
- The oldest known wild Robin was 11 years 5 months old.
- Pitcher plants are carnivorous plants. Nectar around the top of the trap attracts the flies, which eventually lose their footing on the waxy surface and slide down into the pitcher where they are digested.
- The Grass snake is the largest of the three British Snakes, reaching up to five foot in length. They are strong swimmers & will move through the water catching frogs, toads & small fish.