If you are having a Halloween party this year or just fancy some Halloween treats, why not make some scrumptious toffee apples? You may need some help from an adult when making the toffee.
- 6 eating apples
- 6 lolly sticks or skewers
- 450g Demerara sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2tsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp clear honey
How to make your toffee apples:
- Fill a small bowl with cold water for testing the toffee & grease a piece of baking paper to put the toffee apples on to cool.
- Wash & dry the apples then push a lolly stick into the base of each one through the core, making sure it is secure.
- Put the sugar, butter, vinegar, honey & 150ml cold water into a pan & heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until the mixture turns to toffee, test frequently towards the end of the 10 minutes. The toffee is ready when a small piece turns hard straight away when it is dropped into the water. Don’t worry if it looks frothy.
- Remove the pan from the heat & dip the apples into the toffee to coat them all over. Take care as the toffee will be hot. Stand the apples on the greased baking paper & leave to cool & set before eating.