Vegan BBQ asparagus with shallots and salsa verde
British asparagus grilled on the BBQ for a quick tasty side or as a main
To help more people try meat-free meals on the barbie this summer, we’ve reached out to brands and chefs from all over the UK to share their favourite vegan/veggie recipes with us.
This recipe is for Vegan BBQ’d British asparagus and shallots with salsa verde, from British Asparagus.
British asparagus is a website devoted to British asparagus, giving insight to when it’s in season, how to cook asparagus in various ways, including insight into where to buy British asparagus, recipes and even how to grow your own British asparagus.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- ½ garlic clove
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 30g flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 30g basil leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp capers
- 150ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 echalions (banana shallots)
- 500g British asparagus; woody ends removed
- To make the salsa verde place the garlic, red wine vinegar, parsley, basil, lemon zest, capers and olive oil into a hand-held blender and blitz until combined but still coarse. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Chop the echalions lengthways into four quarters and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place in a smoking hot griddle pan to cook until they are soft and slightly charred but still hold their shape. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the asparagus, then place on the BBQ for 5-8 minutes until charred but still tender.
- Arrange the asparagus and echalions on a plate, then spoon over the salsa verde.
Not convinced you should try meat-free meals on the barbie? Check out our VVQ campaign here to see how meat-free meals could be a healthier and more environmentally-friendly choice.
Don’t forget to share your vegetarian or vegan BBQ recipes on our Facebook page too for the chance to win one of five BBQ prizes.