How To Sow Broccoli For A Crop Over Winter
Broccoli is nutritious and easy to grow over winter
We are sowing a mix of purple and white sprouting broccoli in summer to give us a crop in early spring. As the vegetable beds are full we are sowing in a seed tray then planting out once some of the summer vegetables have been harvested.
You will need:
• seed compost + Perlite
• seed tray
• tray to hold water
Fill the tray with good quality peat-free seed compost mixed 50/50 with Perlite; this opens up the structure of the compost allowing it to drain better and not form a hard crust on the top. Knock the tray on the bench to settle the compost.
- Sow the seed thinly on the surface.
- Cover with a thin layer of sieved compost and label.
- Stand the tray in the tray of water for 10 – 15 minutes until the compost is damp.
- Place somewhere cool until germinated.
- Once the seedlings have formed 2 pairs of leaves prick out into individual pots.
For more information to help you make the most of your veg patch just contact the Outdoor Plant department here in store or watch the videos on our youtube channel.