How To Clean The Mould Off The Cushions On Synthetic Rattan Garden Furniture
Prevent moulds growing on cushions; keep them warm and dry
LIFE Outdoor Living Timber Corner Set (pictured above)
Cushions on outdoor rattan garden furniture can so easily get spotted with mould; all it needs is for them to be left out in a shower and not dried off or stowed away for the winter when they are not completely dry. In this case prevention is definitely better than cure as it is not easy to remove mould spots; they need tackling as soon as they appear.
- Take a bucket of tepid water
- Add ½ cup Vanish stain remover and ½ cup white wine vinegar
- Mix until dissolved
- Scrub the mould gently with the solution on a soft brush
- If this doesn’t work at first you may have to apply lemon juice and Vanish directly to the mould and leave for a few minutes before further scrubbing with the solution
- Remove the covers from the filling and wash as per the instructions on the cushions; some outdoor cushions cannot be washed as it destroys the waterproofing. Glencrest cushions have to be hand-washed at a temperature no higher than 30C (86F), cushions off Cozy Bay furniture can be washed at 40C (104F), Alexander Rose cushions have to be gently hand-washed in mild detergent and not wrung out, tumble dried, ironed or dry cleaned and 4 Seasons can be washed at a temperature of 40C (104F) but not dry cleaned.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly
If the cushions are dark or strong coloured it would be advisable to test a small patch underneath the cushion to make sure it is lightfast.
For more information on keeping garden and conservatory furniture in pristine condition for longer just click on the links below: