BBQ corn on the cob with shallot herb butter
Try this easy tasty veggie dish using super sweet British corn
To celebrate the launch of our VVQ campaign, which promotes trying meat-free recipes on the BBQ, we’ve asked some of the best brands and chefs from all over the country to share their favourite vegan/veggie recipes with us.
Today’s recipe is from UK Shallots, a website for professional and passionate cooks featuring recipes, tips, advice on growing your own shallots, including when they come into season, news and media.
The recipe they have provided us with is for BBQ’d corn-on-the-cob with shallot herb butter. A super easy side dish making the most of summer sweetcorn, with useful make-ahead flavoured butter. This butter also works well with baked or new potatoes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 100g butter; softened
- 2 shallots; very finely chopped
- 20g fresh herbs; a mix of parsley, chives and a little rosemary; finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 corn on the cob
- Add the soft butter to a bowl (if it’s too hard, 20 seconds in the microwave should soften it just enough). Stir through the grated shallots and herbs and season well with salt and pepper.
- If you are making the butter ahead to use later then place it onto a sheet of clingfilm. Roll into a sausage shape then chill in the fridge.
- When you are ready to cook the corn take a little of this butter, a scant teaspoon, and rub all over the corn using clean hands. Reserve the rest of the butter for after cooking.
- Lay the buttered corn on the grill bars of the barbecue and cook for about 15 minutes, turning frequently, until they are lightly charred in places and the corn is tender. Serve immediately with the rest of the butter dotted on top.
Don’t forget to share your vegetarian or vegan BBQ recipes on our Facebook page too for the chance to win one of five BBQ prizes.