BBQ asparagus with feta and gremolata
Fresh British asparagus is ideal for a light summer supper dish
This summer, Hayes Garden World is encouraging more BBQers to try meat-free alternatives on the BBQ through our VVQ campaign, which celebrates cooking Vegetarian and Vegan Quisine on the barbie.
To support the campaign, we’ve reached out to some of the best vegetarian and vegan brands in the UK to ask them to share their favourite recipes with us. Today’s recipe is for BBQed parsley and lemon-infused asparagus, courtesy of British asparagus.
British asparagus is a website devoted to promoting the use of home-grown asparagus, giving insight to when it’s in season and how to cook asparagus in various ways, as well as insight into where to buy British asparagus, recipes and even how to grow your own British asparagus.
This recipe consists of BBQ’d asparagus spears with crunchy hazelnuts, parsley and lemon for a real winner.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 30g hazelnuts
- 500g British asparagus; woody ends trimmed off
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Leaves from a small bunch of parsley; finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove; crushed
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the hazelnuts on a small roasting tray and place on a medium grill for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. Once browned set aside.
- Place the asparagus and in a roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on the BBQ for 5-6 minutes until still crisp but tender.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the roasted hazelnuts and place in a bowl along with the lemon zest, chopped parsley and crushed garlic. Slowly drizzle in 1tbsp olive oil and stir to combine.
- Once the asparagus is done, place on a plate and top with feta and gremolata, the hazelnut dressing, season and enjoy.
Don’t forget to share your vegetarian or vegan BBQ recipes on our Facebook page too for the chance to win one of five BBQ prizes.